FAQs (General)

Q.  Who is a CXC Local Registrar?

A.  A CXC Local Registrar is a person appointed by the local Ministry of Education to administer the Council’s examinations.  The office of the CXC Local Registrar is normally located in the Ministry of Education.  In Jamaica however, the CXC Local Registrar’s Office is located at the Overseas Examinations Commission.

Q. I am the Principal of a school and wish to enquire about one of my students’ registration details.  Should I contact the Council directly?

A.  No, the Council does not engage in direct contact with principals, candidates, parents, guardians, or teachers.  All enquiries must be directed to the Council via the Office of the Local Registrar. 

Q. Is the CSEC Grade III obtained between 1979 and 1997 considered a pass?

A. Prior to 1998, a five-point grading system was in place and some employers and educational institutions recognised a Grade III for the purposes of employment and further studies especially when candidates presented a combination of subjects ranging from Grades I – III.   In 1998, the Council adopted the six-point grading scheme that recognised Grade III as an award for employment and further studies. 

Q: How many marks do I need to obtain a Grade I pass?

Answer: It is not the policy of the Council to publicise the different grade boundaries.  Suffice to say that the marks for Grade I may vary from one subject area to another but for all subjects, a Grade I denotes outstanding performance.

Q:  My son has been entered for Mathematics but it does not appear on his timetable. How can the correction be made?

A:  If a subject does not appear on the candidate’s timetable it means that he is not registered for that examination.  By the time the timetable is issued, it is too late for subjects to be added or for any registration amendment to be effected.  We suggest Candidates are advised that when registration is in progress that they request from the school/centre a copy of their registration details (available in the Subjects Registered Report in the Online Registration System) so that the information may be checked and confirmed prior to the deadline date. All queries about the registration of candidates should be addressed first to the school/centre for onward transmission to the CXC Local Registrar.

Q: How may I obtain past question papers?

A: Past question papers are usually sold at popular bookshops in the various territories. Past question papers may also be purchased at the Receptionist’s Desk at the Council’s Headquarters in Barbados or its Offices in Jamaica.  Multiple Choice question papers are not available for purchase.

Q: I believe that I should have gotten a higher grade in my French examination.  How can I query or seek a review of the results?

A:   A candidate attending a school or full-time educational institution is required to complete the appropriate form at the school.  A candidate at a private centre (educational institutions not recognised by the Council as a full-time educational institution) must complete the form at the centre or at the office of the CXC Local Registrar. Local Registrars must forward all forms to CXC by the specified deadline.  Only requests for a script review (i.e. a remarking of the script) attract a fee.  General enquiries into results are free of charge.

Q:  The response to my request for a script review stated “no change”. What was actually done to my script?

A: A script review involves the remarking of the script(s) by the Chief Examiner.  After the remarking, the candidate’s marks may be higher, lower or do not change.  If the Chief Examiner determines after the remarking that the candidate’s script was accurately marked and there is no need to change the scores previously awarded, then the Council would issue a “no change” statement for the script review.

Q:  My child was too ill to sit part of her Biology examination. Is she eligible for a grade?

A: A written report on the appropriate form – EXA 52 Request for Compassionate Consideration – must be sent by the school or centre to the CXC Local Registrar in the Ministry of Education by the specified deadline for transmission to the Council.  Consideration may be given to the award of an Assessed Grade depending on the circumstances of the case.  If the candidate was absent for a major paper, for example the Paper 2, it is unlikely that he/she would be eligible for the award of an Assessed Grade.

Q:  My son has been diagnosed as being dyslexic and requires additional time for his examinations.  Would CXC offer any accommodation?

A:  The Council approves the provision of Special Assessment Arrangements for candidates who meet the requirements.  The request for Special Assessment Arrangements (Form EXA 51 and the required documentation must be received from the Local Registrar’s office by the stipulated deadlines.

Q: I am visually impaired and read Braille.  Is there any possibility that I could write the CXC examinations?

A:  Braille and enlarged print question papers are provided for candidates who require it.  The request for Special Assessment Arrangements – Form EXA 51 – and the required documentation must be received from the Local Registrar’s office by the stipulated deadlines.

Q:  Is there an alternative examination for candidates who fall ill and unable to sit the examination?

A:   No – a subject is offered only once at any sitting.

Q:   How much does it cost to register for a subject offered by CXC?

A: The scale of fees provides the costs for the range of examinations offered by the Council. In addition to the fees charged by the Council, CXC Local Registrars may also impose local fees to off-set administrative and other processing costs.

Q:  May I pay online for Transcripts, syllabuses or other products offered by the CXC?

A: Payment online by credit card for products and services should become a reality before the end of 2009.  When the facility is put in place, the details will be posted on the website.  In the interim, the methods of payment are by Bank Drafts, and International Postal Money Orders. Cash and cheques may be accepted for purchases made directly at the Council’s Headquarters in Barbados and at its offices in Jamaica.

Q:  I am planning a family vacation and would like to know the dates of the CXC examinations. How can I find out these dates?

A: Timetables, draft or final, may be found on the Council’s website, cxc.org . You may also contact your CXC Local Registrar for information pertaining to examination dates.

Q:   Is it mandatory to complete the School Based Assessment (SBA) / Internal Assessment (IA) assignments?

Answer: Yes it is. School Based Assessment/Internal Assessment is a mandatory component in most of the CSEC and all of the CAPE syllabuses. If you are registered to submit SBA/IA and do not submit this component for the examination, you will be reported “Ungraded – SBA/IA component not received”.  An Alternative Paper to SBA/IA (normally referred to as Paper 3/2 in the case of CSEC and 3/B in the case of CAPE) is available to candidates registered at private centres.  Candidates who are eligible and who opt to write the Alternative Paper are not required to complete the SBA/IA requirements.

Q:  Where may I obtain a list of the subjects offered by CXC?

A:  Subject offerings may be acessed from the website: cxc.org.  The list of subjects can also be obtained from any CXC Local Registrar.

Q:   What is the meaning of “Ungraded” on the preliminary results slip?

A: Ungraded indicates that the scores for one component of the examination, usually the SBA/IA, was not submitted on behalf of the candidate. Queries about “Ungraded” results should be submitted to the CXC Local Registrar in the Ministry of Education, by the specified deadline.

Q:  I received a notation on my preliminary results which stated that my SBA/IA marks were less than 50% of the “moderated  marks”. What does this mean?

A: The SBA marks awarded by teachers for ALL candidates must be sent to the Council.  Principals are required to submit samples of the SBA/IA assignments from their schools or examination centres in order to verify the quality of the marking by the teachers.  Moderators/examiners are appointed by the Council to remark the samples submitted by the teachers to determine how closely the teachers’ marking reflects the marking guidelines provided by the Council. Following the remarking of the samples, the marks awarded by the teachers could be raised or lowered, or they could remain the same.  The marks determined by the moderators/examiners are known as the moderated marks.  This is the final SBA mark awarded to candidates.  In the case of the CSEC examinations, in order to re-use the SBA marks from a previous sitting, the candidate must have received a moderated mark not less than 50% of the maximum SBA marks for the subject.  In the case of the CAPE examinations, candidates are allowed to re-use any IA marks obtained.

Q:  The date of birth on my certificate is incorrect. How can it be corrected?

A:  The original certificate issued by CXC together with a certified copy of the candidate’s Birth Certificate and a Certificate Amendment Fee, should be submitted to the CXC Local Registrar for transmission to CXC. 

Q:   I am not attending any school or part-time educational institution but want to register for CSEC and CAPE examinations.  May I do so in the Online Registration System on the Council’s website?

A: No.  All registration must be done through an approved examination centre.  Contact your CXC Local Registrar who would be able to provide a list of approved examination centres.

Q: Two subjects on my timetable are scheduled to be administered on the same day during the same session.  Can this clash be resolved?

A: Where the papers of two subjects offered by the Council clash on a candidate’s timetable, special arrangements may be made by the CXC Local Registrar, in consultation with the CXC Registrar, to enable the candidate to write both examinations on the same day.  In order to avoid clashes, candidates are advised to consult the Council’s master timetables, draft or final, before registering for subjects.

Q: What is a Resit candidate?

A:   A Resit Candidate is any candidate who at the time of registering for an examination, opts to reuse his/her SBA or IA score.  Regulations, governing the reuse of the CSEC SBA stipulate that the candidate must have achieved an SBA score of 50% or more of the moderated score.  On the other hand, candidates registering as resit for CAPE examinations are permitted to reuse any moderated score obtained.

Q: Who is considered a Private candidate?

A:  Someone who is not in a full-time educational institution like a school.  A private candidate is registered at a part-time centre or an educational institution not recognised by the Council as a full-time educational institution.  For the purposes of registering for examinations, the main difference between a private candidate and a full-time candidate is that a private candidate has the option of registering for the Alternative Paper to SBA/IA, if it is offered for the particular subject.  Candidates at full-time educational institutions are not permitted to register for the Alternative Paper.

Q.  Who is a Transfer candidate in CAPE?

A:   A Transfer candidate is one who opts to transfer his/her IA from one Unit to another in nine 99) selective subjects: Economics, French, Geography, History, Law, Literatures in English, Management of Business, Sociology and Spanish.  For example, if a candidate registers for History Units 1 and 2, he/she may opt to write the IA in Unit 1 and use that same IA score for Unit 2.  The reverse is also allowed where the candidate submits the IA for Unit 2 and uses the IA score for the Unit 1 examination.  The term “Transfer” here MUST not be confused with those candidates transferring from one centre to another or from one country to another. That is a different arrangement.

Q: What are the specialised areas offered in the Associate Degree Programme?

A: Associates Degrees may be obtained in any one of the following areas: Business Studies, Computer Science, Environmental Science, General Studies, Humanities, Mathematics, Modern Languages, Natural Sciences, and Technical Studies.

Q. How do I qualify for a CAPE Associate Degree?

A: To qualify for an Associate Degree, a candidate must obtain acceptable grades (I –V) in at least seven (7) Units within a five year period.  Caribbean Studies and Communication Studies are compulsory subjects in all of the specialised areas of the Associate Degree Program.


Q:  How may I apply for a summer job?

A: The Council offers a limited number of seasonal jobs, usually during the summer season at its offices in Barbados and Jamaica.  Seasonal jobs are also available in Guyana and Trinidad and Tobago during the annual July Script Marking activities.  The average working period is two weeks.  Please contact the Human Resources Division by emailing cxc.org .

Q:  I am interested in marking examinations offered by CXC.  How do I obtain an application form?

A: Application forms are available online at cxc.org . The forms must be completed by the teacher, signed by the Principal and sent to CXC Headquarters at the earliest opportunity.  Forms may also be obtained from the CXC Headquarters in Barbados or its Offices in Jamaica. Persons who have previously applied, need not reapply, but should notify the Council if there has been a change in any of the information previously supplied.

Q: What qualifications must I have in order to be a marker?

A: The qualifications differ from one subject area to another. Normally, applicants should possess a first degree from a recognised university and should have been teaching the subject for at least two years at either the forms 4 and 5 level for CSEC and at the form 6 level for CAPE. There are some subject areas that require a teaching certificate and not a degree.

Q:  How do I know if my application to mark question papers was successful?

A: Applicants could contact the Examinations Administration and Security Division at cxc.org at anytime and request information on the status of their application.  Invitations to the script marking are normally issued in November for the February script marking and in March for the June-July activities.  Persons selected will be notified by post and email.  You should ensure that the email address given in your application is kept up to date or that you notify the Council should you change that address.  Not everyone who applies is selected to mark in the same year.  If you are not selected, we will keep your information will be kept in the Council’s database to be considered for the next year’s activities. 


Q: What is the Process for Querying Grades


Private Candidates


Candidates Registered through institutions


Contact Local Registrars Office, submit query, fill out the appropriate forms and pay applicable fees

Contact the Principal of the institution, submit query, fill out the appropriate forms and pay the appropriate fees.


The query is then sent to CXC where the script is pulled.

The Query is then sent to the Local registrar, and further to CXC, where the script is pulled


The Script is sent to the Chief Officer, remarked, re-graded and the appropriate adjustments are then made where necessary

The Script is sent to the Chief Officer, remarked, re-graded and the appropriate adjustments are then made where necessary


Q:  My daughter wants to send details of her CXC qualifications to an overseas university. How can she go about having that done?

A: A Transcript form should be completed and sent along with the relevant fee to the Council’s Headquarters or to the CXC Local Registrar.  The Transcript form may be downloaded from the website, cxc.org .

Q:   I cannot locate my CXC certificate. How may I obtain another copy?

A: A candidate whose certificate has been lost, stolen or damaged may apply for a replacement certificate on the relevant application form. The form is available on the CXC website, cxc.org .  When completed, the application form should be sent to the CXC Local Registrar.  The cost of a replacement certificate is given in the scale of fees.

Q: Where can I obtain a report detailing the performance of CXC’s candidates in a given subject?

A:  Information pertaining to the performance of candidates may be found in the Schools Reports which are posted annually on the CXC website – cxc.org. Information may also be obtained from the CXC Local Registrar who would have full details on the performance of candidates in their respective territory.

Q: What does the acronyms CSEC and CAPE mean?

A: CSEC stands for Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate. CSEC examinations are normally written by candidates who have completed two years of the syllabus at the secondary level.  CAPE stands for Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examination and the examinations are normally written by candidates who have completed one or two years of post secondary level education.

Q: If I am not attending a school, am I still allowed to sit CSEC or CAPE subjects?

A:  Persons no longer attending school are allowed to register for any CSEC or CAPE subjects since there is no age limit for persons writing these examinations.  Persons can register at any educational institution offering these examinations.  If the institution does not take part in the SBA/IA program, the candidates would have to register as Resit candidates, if eligible, or write the Alternative paper if such a paper is offered in the subject area.  Persons not attending any educational institutions should contact the CXC Local Registrar to learn about the procedures for registering for the examinations.


The scale of fees charged by the Council is given below.  The fees are denoted in Barbados dollars (BDS$2 = US$1) and are subject to change in accordance with the Council’s policy.  The Local Registrar in each territory reserves the right to impose additional charges (normally referred to as local fees) to off-set the administrative costs that incur in the registration of candidates for, and in the administration of, the examinations.  An External Territory is any territory or country that is not a signatory to the Agreement Establishing the Caribbean Examinations Council.

 Fee Structure

Examinations Fees: CSEC®, CAPE® and CCSLC®

CSEC Subject


CSEC Candidate Entry


CSEC Subject (External Territories)


CSEC Candidate Entry (External Territories)


CAPE Subject: per Unit


CAPE Candidate Entry


CAPE Subject: per Unit (External Territories)


CAPE Candidate Entry (External Territories)


CCSLC Subject


CCSLC Candidate Entry


CCSLC Subject (External Territories)


CCSLC Candidate Entry (External Territories)


CCSLC Late Entry


CCSLC Amendment**


CSEC and CAPE Late Entry (see table below)**


CSEC and CAPE Amendment (see table below)**


CSEC, CAPE and CCSLC Transfer




**Late Entry and Amendment Fees: January CSEC Sitting



Received 1 – 15 November

Received 16 – 30 November

Received  after 30 November 

Late Entry:

BDS $45.00

BDS $75.00

BDS $200.00

Amendment (Subjects and Options)

BDS $45.00

BDS $75.00

BDS $200.00

Amendment (Personal Details)

BDS $45.00

BDS $45.00

BDS $ 50.00


**Late Entry and Amendment Fees: May-June CSEC and CAPE Sitting



Received 1 – 31 January 

Received  1 February  – 15 March

Received  after 15 March

Late Entry:

BDS $45.00

BDS $75.00

BDS $200.00

Amendment (Subjects and Options)

BDS $45.00

BDS $75.00

BDS $200.00

Amendment (Personal Details)

BDS $45.00

BDS $45.00

BDS $50.00


**Late Entry and Amendment Fees: June CCSLC Sitting



Received  after 15 February

Late Entry:

BDS $50

Amendment (Subject or Personal)

BDS $50





1.  CSEC and CAPE SBA marks received by the Council after the deadline dates but before the absolute deadline of 31 July: BDS $50 per candidate

2.  CSEC and CAPE SBA samples received by the Council after the deadline dates but before the absolute deadline of 31 July: BDS $50 per candidate in sample

   3.   Transcript: see https://www.cxc.org/node/8266 for details

   4.   Replacement certificate: BDS $210.00 – see https://www.cxc.org/node/7469 for details

Amendment to a certificate: BDS $60