The Caribbean Examinations Council (CXC) has been made aware of the concerns of stakeholders regarding the provision of extra answer sheets to candidates for its examinations. CXC wishes to state the following;
- The issue of the extra answer sheet for candidates whose responses to questions may exceed the norm, only applies to the booklet in which candidates are required to write their answers to the questions.
- The new design booklets provide space for a response after each question. The space allocated for each response was determined based on a careful review of the space used by candidates in responding to similar questions over the years, plus an extra allocation for above-average responses.
- In an effort to ensure that no candidate is disadvantaged, the new answer booklets, also provide a general area, at the back of the booklet to facilitate the candidate who, for a particular response writes significantly more than the typical candidate.
- On the five previous occasions when these booklets were used, CXC has not received any complaints about candidates requesting or needing additional answer sheets for any of the papers offered in the Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examination (CAPE) and the Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate (CSEC).
- CXC is confident that the space provided for the response to each question is more than adequate for the expected response, and wishes to advise all stakeholders that all steps have been taken to ensure that candidates are not disadvantaged from the use of these booklets.
- The matter of extra answer sheets was dealt with in Paragraphs 81 and 105 of the Supervisors and Invigilators Manual issued in 2015.
The Caribbean Examinations Council wishes to assure the region of its commitment to excellent service and providing examinations of the highest quality.
For further information, please contact Cleveland Sam, Public Information Officer at (246) 227 1892 or via e-mail @ CSam@cxc.org.